One of the easiest and delicious dishes I make for my family is oven-baked trout. This recipe is so easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. It’s your perfect healthy recipe to go with when you don’t feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen. I usually boil potatoes and make a small salad as side dishes.
For 2 servings, you will need:
- 2 trouts
- 1 lemon
- olive oil (you can use any salad oil)
- 4-6 sage leaves (you can also use dried ones or any other herbs of your choice)
For boiled potatoes:
- 300 g potatoes for Little Hungry and 500 g for Big Hungry
- salt (I use coarse salt for boiling vegetables)
- 2 tomatoes (about 100 g each)
- 1 snack cucumber or half a long cucumber (about 150-160 g)
- 1 small green onion
- a pinch of sugar (I use raw sugar)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (or any salad oil)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Wash the potatoes and boil them in salted water for about 20-30 minutes (depending on the size of the potatoes).
- Check if they are done with a knife or a fork: if it easily goes inside the potato, they are ready.
- No need to peel them now, you can remove the peel before serving them.
- Wash the vegetables.
- Cut them in bite-size pieces
- Add the ingredients for the vinaigrette: oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar to correct the acidity of tomatoes.
- Mix everything gently.
How to prepare the trout:
- Preheat the oven at 180°C/356°F (no ventilation).
- Wash the fish and dry it with a paper towel.
- Cut an aluminum foil slightly longer than the size of the fish so you can seal the ends. I wrap each fish individually.
- Massage the fish directly on the foil with olive oil, inside and outside. You can use any salad oil you have.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper, inside and outside.
- Add 2-3 fresh sage leaves. You can also use dried ones or other herbs of your choice.
- Cut the lemon in slices and add 2 slices on each side of the fish. If your lemon was small and you didn’t get enough slices for all sides of the fish (8 slices for 2 fish), try to split the slices equally between the fish.
- Repeat the steps for the other fish.
- Bake the fish for about 25-30 minutes, depending on the size.
I usually serve the fish in foil, especially since my plates are not very long (need to buy longer ones ?).
It may not be a fancy meal but it’s healthy and tasty, not to mention easy to make. Pay attention to the bones though.