The easiest way of cooking white Asparagus is to just boil it for a few minutes in salted water, with a pinch of sugar. You can serve it with boiled potatoes and hollandaise sauce or just melted butter. Super easy and fast.
For 2 servings you should calculate:
- 500 g – 750 g white asparagus (depending on how hungry you are)
- 300 g – 500 g potatoes, preferably small ones (for Little Hungry and Big Hungry)
- some hollandaise sauce or you can just melt butter
- some parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Wash the potatoes and boil them in salted water, without removing the peel. If the potatoes are small, this shouldn’t take more than 20 min. Check with a skewer or a fork when they’re done.
- Wash and peel the asparagus. Check out here how to peel asparagus.
- If you have an Asparagus steamer, you can add water to the pot, without covering the tips. You can also boil them in a normal pot. Add some salt (here you can be generous) and 1 tbsp of sugar. In order to remove the bitter taste if there’s any, you can add some lemon juice.
- Boil the Asparagus for about 10 minutes. If it’s thin, 7-8 minutes should be enough.
- In this time you can either prepare my easy and quick hollandaise sauce or melt some butter.
- Serve the asparagus with potatoes, ham and top it with sauce or melted butter. You can roll the ham around it. The potatoes can be served either in the peel or the peel can be removed before.
- Garnish the Asparagus with fresh parsley leaves.
Don’t throw away the water from the Asparagus. You can use it as a base for making your own delicious stock or in soups. If you do so, you may also put the peels in the pot to get more flavor.